In a generalize sense, what this page will tell you is that you retain the rights to any free content that you submit to The Indie Game Magazine and grant IGM permission to use that content on its website and/or in print. Please don’t spam and don’t post copyrighted material anywhere on our site or network. We like when you submit videos and accept anything about indie games and gaming in general, but obviously we focus on the indie stuff. Legal jargon follows.
This Agreement was last revised on January 1, 2014.
IGM provides a place for the indie game community and press to create content, publicize their work, and submit content to The Indie Game Magazine. We offer indies and readers a chance to voice their opinion, show off their work, and sell their games. IGM hosts all the content, backs it up on a regular basis, picks up the bills, and maintains the site.
We’re trying to foster the indie gaming community, so in participating you’re helping us do that, and we love you for it. Unless, of course, you’re a Jerk — but sometimes we love Jerks too… but not always.
1. The Indie Game Magazine is a professional publication which is geared toward the indie developer but also indie game fans. Because of this, our audience consists mainly of adults who are in college or beyond. While we ask our readers to submit content to us in the form of game videos, we do not accept user submitted articles any more. However, we have a public blog in the forums that is open to anyone. In those blogs and the game videos, we feel that profanity is ‘ok’ in moderation — but it should be the salt and pepper, not the main course. Please refrain from using it in titles. Articles that do not coincide with what we are requesting or are ridiculous and offensive will be removed without consulting the poster beforehand. No questions asked. Use common-sense liberally here. Please understand that blogs in the forums are the opinion of the creator and not IGM. IGM does not editor or monitor these blogs.
2. You are solely responsible for the activity that occurs on your account, and you must keep your account password secure. You must notify IGM immediately of any breach of security or unauthorized use of your account. IGM will not be liable for any losses caused by any unauthorized use of your account.
3. Don’t be a drama queen! Overly negative people, spammers, and abusers will be banned. Again, our site is designed to promote the indie industry, not to give a platform to immature people looking for attention by adversely affecting members of our community.
4. All aspects of The Indie Game Magazine’s Network and Service are subject to change at IGM’s discretion. You agree that IGM will not be liable to you for any interruption of the Service, delay, or failure to perform.
5. Don’t copy and paste other people’s work and pass it off as your own content. Summarize what you want to use and give proper credit/linkage. Otherwise, this may be perceived as plagiarism, and you could find yourself in legal trouble. The Indie Game Magazine takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any User Content that you or any other User or third-party posts or sends over the Service. You understand and agree that any loss or damage of any kind that occurs as a result of the use of any User Content that you send, upload, download, stream, post, transmit, display, or otherwise make available or access through your use of the Service, is solely your responsibility. IGM is not responsible for any public display or misuse of your User Content. You understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to User Content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree that The Indie Game Magazine shall not be liable for any damages you allege to incur as a result of such User Content.
6. You retain full ownership and any proprietary rights that you may have in your individual User Content postings on The Indie Game Magazine. By posting any User Content on our site, you expressly grant, and you represent and warrant that you have a right to grant, to The Indie Game Magazine a royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, edit, translate, distribute, market, publicly perform, publicly display, and make derivative works of all such User Content and your name, voice, and/or likeness as contained in your User Content, in whole or in part, and in any form, media or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, for use in connection with the Service.
7. The Indie Game Magazine may decide, at its sole discretion, to offer compensation to Members for the Syndication of User Content containing their original expression. If IGM chooses to offer any such compensation, IGM will determine the form and amount of such compensation pursuant to our compensation policy, if any, in effect at the time.