Planets³ — Don’t Be Square, Back a Square

Okay, so technically you’re backing cubes, but that’s hardly the point. The point was my bad joke The point is that Planets3, a new voxel-based game from the developers at Cubical Drift, has just begun its Kickstarter (in case you couldn’t guess from the whole “backing” thing).

You know how Minecraft always promised tons of really awesome features, delivered on only some of them, and people just sort of rolled with it since what they really wanted was to build really, really cool stuff in an extremely malleable world? Well Planetslooks to be what Minecraft always promised. Similar, voxel-based construction and destruction, a wide range of tools to mess with, a good looking UI (for crafting and general interfacing), and RPG mechanics are all things that Minecraft either promised or was built around, and – at least from the video – Planetsseems to be doing just a bit better.

Naturally, I haven’t played the game yet, so I can’t honestly tell you whether or not this is actually true. I can, however, talk about their plans for the game. Firstly, the game is only about 10% done (according to Cubical Drift), with a successful Kickstarter campaign being integral to the completion of the other 90%. The $250,000 they’re asking for will cover their development costs and the costs of making animations for their game; most of the actual mechanical portions of the game are finished already. In other words, your money will primarily be used to turn Planetsinto something of its own, rather than just another Minecraft clone.

You can support the project here, and find out more about the game here.

A nerd of elephantine proportions (both figuratively and literally), Connor also writes for Pxlbyte, and has recently come to realize that he is, in actuality, really bad at video games. So he writes about them instead.

  • Sebastian

    That´s the best title I´ve read for this game by now :)

    This game is so awesome I just startet a kickstarter account just to back it

  • I would like to play it!