We here at IGM receive, well, a lot of emails every day about projects in need of support on crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and IndieGoGo. We try to cover the news as best we can, but with limited resources, we often have to pick and choose which stories to cover, and at the risk of overloading the site with crowdfund after crowdfund, can only cover a select few each week. To help ease this burden, we’ve come up with a solution that allows us to cover a few more crowdfunds each month, while simultaneously offering indie devs in desperate need of promotion a new, affordable solution to advertising.
Going forward, we’re going to give indie game-centric crowdfunding campaigns the chance to advertise with us for no money down. That’s right, it won’t cost anything upfront to have your campaign’s widget added to our sidebar. So what’s the catch? The catch is, we want to offer single issues of our Magazine to your backers! (Given out as both vouchers for free digital downloads via Joomag, and as a DRM-free PDF, so no need to worry about shipping costs or international availability for backers.) You select the reward tiers that will include the Magazine, and we ask for an incredibly small commission each time a backer pledges at a tier that includes the Magazine, and only at tiers that include the Magazine. So basically, we get the opportunity to expand our subscriber base, and you get some added promotion on our website, and via our social media channels as well.
Now there are some ground rules for this new initiative, to keep things from getting out of hand or becoming a “conflict on interest” issue. They are as follows:
- The promotion is open to any and all indie game-centric Kickstarter/IndieGoGo projects. (Including indie game-centric documentaries/products.)
- We will select up to 2-3 campaigns each month to support. Our decision will be based on campaigns that provide a clear vision for their game/project, and have demonstrated the ability to deliver that project.
- Participants will be added to our sidebar, and receive frequent promotion on our social media channels (Twitter, Google+, and Facebook) for the duration of their campaign.
- We will provide voucher codes/PDF files to the developer and they will distribute them to backers, so we will not collect any of the backer’s personal information.
- We only receive money if the project is funded.
- We only earn money from tiers that offer Indie Game Magazine issues as a small commission fee on a per-pledge basis. ($1.49 per single issue
- This is a new, affordable form of advertising. It costs no money upfront, and again, we only get paid if the project is successfully funded.
- Indies must reach out to us and integrate Magazine tiers before their campaign launches. We will not add Magazine tiers after a campaign has already launched.
- This does not hinder our ability to cover other Kickstarters as traditional news pieces. It’s a separate advertising option for indies to consider. In fact, since indies must reach out beforehand, news coverage will be business as usual; based on emails we receive for campaigns in progress, and the writing team’s own research of ongoing campaigns.
- During the lifespan of the crowdfunding campaign, we will not preview/review the game or any Alpha/Beta builds available, but we may feature it in other ways, such as presenting it during our Sunday Newscast. If so, we will mention the campaign includes IGM tiers.
Okay, that’s just about it. Any indie dev that wants to be considered for this new initiative can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Crowdfunding Promotion” in the Subject Line. I think it’s a great synergetic approach to supporting both exciting new indie projects, and little ol’ IGM, so we can improve the site and Magazine, which will help us cover even more indies. If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to let us know in the comments. I’ll answer them as quickly as possible.